You can Design WordPress Website from scratch even if you are a beginner. Well, you’ve finally taken the plunge, selected a domain name, purchased a sign-up for Bluehost WordPress hosting, and are ready to start building your site. Congratulations! It’s going to be awesome. After all, WordPress.com allows you to build a website that meets your unique needs.
Start a blog, business site, portfolio, online store, or anything else you can imagine. With built‑in optimization and responsive, mobile‑ready themes, there’s no limit to who you can reach with your new website. Create a simple website for your family or sell products around the world—it’s up to you. No matter the size of your budget, WordPress.com has a plan that’s right for you.
Create a free website and get access to professional themes, 3 GB of storage space, community support, and more. If you need more features, you can choose from one of three affordable plans. With each plan, you’ll get a custom domain name, more space for your files, and priority support. Some plans also include advanced design customization, monetization tools, etc.
How To Design WordPress Website Page From Scratch
Now that you’ve celebrated your new blog or business venture, you may be wondering what to do next and how to create a WordPress website. Don’t worry. This short guide will walk you through how to create your first web page step by step. Especially, using the Bluehost platform as our host example.
In the first place, you need to choose a Theme. For instance, Bluehost, they simplify your life by automatically installing WordPress on all shared hosting accounts. When choosing a theme, you have a choice between basic and premium themes. A theme is a pre-designed template that tells WordPress what your site will look like.
In other words, rather than having to code your whole website, you can choose a template you like and then customize the elements.
To select a theme:
- Log in to your WordPress dashboard with your username and password. For example
- Turn your attention to the sidebar on your dashboard and find “Appearance” and then select “Themes.”
From here you can either select a free theme or install a premium theme that you’ve purchased by clicking “Add New” and then “Upload Theme.”
- Simply select the .zip file you downloaded when you purchased your theme and click “Install Now.”
- Finally, you will click the “Activate” theme.
Once your theme is activated, your site will actually start to look like a website! In order for your website to rank on search engines, it’s going to need great content. Start by creating your first WordPress web page. Whether you are creating a blog post or a category page, my step-by-step instructions will set your WordPress site up for success!
How do you Create your First WordPress Page?
Now that you have a theme, it’s time to create your pages. For example, you may want an “About” page, a “Testimonials” page, a “Services” page, or a “Contacts” page, depending on the goals of your website. You can create these pages through the “Pages” WordPress feature.
Here’s how to do it;
- Turn your attention to the sidebar and locate “Pages.” Then click on the “Add New ” option.
- Once you have selected “Add New,” you’ll notice you can enter a title and customize the content. You can add a title to your page, such as “About Me” or “Services.” Then you can write your content, add images, and even select the layout for your page.
- Once you are ready to publish your page, find the “Publish” button on the right side of your screen. As soon as you click the blue button, your new page will go live. Remember, since you have selected a theme, WordPress will automatically import your page into the design you selected. This means you don’t have to know any coding.
Design WordPress Website Page to add to the Menu
After you have created all of your pages, you’ll want to organize them. After all, you want your website visitors to be able to easily navigate your website. To organize your pages, you’ll want to add them to one of your navigation menus. You can do this through the “Appearance” tab on the sidebar. Here is how.
- Find “Appearance” on the sidebar and click “Menus.”
- Find the pages you created under the “Pages” widget.
- You can add any of the pages to your menu by clicking the checkbox next to the title of your page and then clicking “Add to Menu.”
- Once you have selected the pages you want to add, you can arrange them in the way you want them to appear on your menu. Do this by dragging and dropping each menu item where you would like them to appear.
In the example above, each main menu page is flushed left and each sub-page under the main page is indented. You can organize your pages however you would like.
Note: You can also update edit menus from the admin or customizer.
And there you have it! That’s how you create and Design WordPress Website Page from scratch and then organize it with a menu.
Tips for Optimizing Your Pages
When creating your pages, keep in mind that you can use widgets and plugins to customize your pages. These allow you to add other features such as contact forms. For better website page optimization, however, consider the following key points;
- Keep your loading time down by optimizing your images
- Add img alt text to your images to describe to image for search engines to find
- Link to other pages with relevant content
- Build out blog posts to increase the relevancy of your site.
Other Must-Haves for Any WordPress Website:
- Make sure to install Google Analytics to track visitors to your website and understand how they’re interacting with the content.
- Use a signup form for visitors to enter their email addresses to receive newsletters and other important updates.
- Make sure your SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is aligned with best practices.
- Build out blog posts to increase the relevancy of your site.
- Make sure to link to social media profiles. Like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and LinkedIn.
If you loved the topic of the day, please feel free to share your thoughts in the comments box below. Additionally, if you have more suggestions, contributions, or questions, you can Contact Us. And in that case, let us know how we can help. Please take a look at the collection of articles about other useful and related topics below;