What Does Heavy Engineering Ltd Do?
Initially, by supplying skilled manpower for the erection of plant equipment for the main contractors. Their first major hydropower project was the Kiambere Hydroelectric Power Project in 1985.
Where they were the subcontractors responsible for the installation of Turbines, Generators, and Hydromechanical Equipment.
Be that as it may, this project also marked the first experience by Heavy Engineering Ltd. Especially, in the manufacturing of Turbine parts for hydropower projects. Not to mention, they manufactured 2 sets each of Draft Tube Liner, Spiral Casing and Pit Liners.
Where Is Heavy Engineering Ltd Located?
As can be seen, from the above illustrative definition, Heavy Engineering Ltd is an established engineering company.
Not forgetting, with vast experience in the energy sector in East and Central Africa since 1980. Currently, the company main operations are headquartered and located in the central business part of Nairobi Kenya.
To simply put it, the company’s experience in hydropower projects has given it a lot of confidence, especially, to diversify to other fields of power generation.
And also, it is their intention to actively participate in future hydro, geothermal, wind and diesel power generation projects.
What Are Their Main Service Solutions?
Eventually, in the 30 years that followed (in the manufacturing of Turbine parts for hydropower projects), they have worked on several major hydropower projects in East and Central Africa.
Then again, from which the experience gained has enabled them to constantly increase their knowledge, capability, and capacity. Inasmuch as, manufacturing and installation of hydropower projects in the picture.
Surprisingly, they’re now able to manufacture various large dimension turbine and generator components, hydromechanical equipment and penstocks.
In addition, they’re also able to carry out complete installation works of the plant equipment. Including;
- hydro-mechanical equipment,
- both mechanical and electrical balance of plant equipment,
- and much more.
Having said that, it is important to realize, there are various fields where you can find a fulltime job as long as you are based in Kenya.
How Do You Get Shortlisted For Their Jobs?
In the first place, the company offers a variety of service solutions and products. Meaning, you too can get a lifetime opportunity working for and with them.
As an example, towards finding a lucrative career with the company, below is an overview of their General Production Processes.
After all, where you can find your best which include production units such as:
1. Metal Cutting
They perform both straight and profile cutting of steel plates using their CNC and Photoelectric Optical Tracing Flame Cutting Machines:
- A Maximum Cutting Length: 12,000 mm
- The Maximum Cutting Width: 3,000 mm
- Maximum Cutting Thickness: 200 mm
In addition, they have the following metal cutting facilities:
- Circular Saw and Band Saw Metal Cutting Machines (work-pieces of maximum width 1000mm and maximum height 310mm)
- Guillotine Shear (for plates with thicknesses up to 16mm)
- Portable Flame Cutting Machines
2. Metal Forming
During this production process, they perform Metal Forming of Thick Metal Plates on their Plate Bending and Brake Press Machines as described below:
4-Roll Plate Bending Machine
- Maximum Plate Width: 3000 mm
- Maximum Plate Thickness: 60 mm
3-Roll Plate Bending Machine
- Maximum Plate Width: 2500 mm
- Maximum Plate Thickness: 30 mm
3-Roll Plate Bending Machine
- Maximum Plate Width: 3000 mm
- Maximum Plate Thickness: 20 mm
400 Ton Brake Press
- Maximum Plate Width: 4000 mm
- Maximum Plate Thickness: 25 mm
3. Metal Welding
According to Heavy Engineering Ltd engineers, they perform the following Welding Processes at the factory:
- Submerged Arc Welding (SAW)Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW)
- Metal Inert/Active Gas Welding (MIG/MAG)
- Flux-Cored Arc Welding (FCAW)
- Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW)
- Tungsten Inert Gas Welding (TIG)
Equally important, they have Conventional Column, Boom Welding Manipulators and Pipe-Welding Rotators (maximum loading capacity 60 ton, maximum pipe diameter 6,000mm).
They also have Portable Automatic Welding Carriages. but, for welding of parts on sites in remote locations where electricity is not available, they perform welding using Mobile Diesel Welding Generators.
4. Heavy Engineering Ltd Machining
Generally speaking, with over 30 years of experience, they’ve invested in increasing capacity and equipped their factory with heavy-duty machinery. In particular, that which is unique within the geographic region they operate in.
In the end, enabling them to produce large dimension heavy-fabricated parts for their customers according to the required specifications.
They perform Machining of Large Dimension Parts at their factory, using the following conventional machines:
- Plano Milling/Boring Machine: ( X = 6000mm, Y = 2500mm, Z = 2000mm) with a 3000mm x 3000mm Rotary Indexing Table, 40 ton loading capacity, and a travel length of 1500mm. Also, they’ve machined work-pieces up to 6500mm in diameter on this machine.
- Double Column Vertical Turret Lathe: 2300mm diameter x 1600mm height x 20-ton loading capacity.
- Horizontal/Vertical Milling Machine: X = 1600mm, Y = 500mm, Z = 600mm
- Vertical Milling Machine: X = 1200mm, Y = 600mm, Z = 400mm
- Horizontal Lathe: 655mm diameter x 6000mm length
- Horizontal Lathe: 800mm diameter x 1000mm length
5. Heat Treatment Process
- Main Furnace Width: 4,500mm
- Basic Furnace Length: 8,000mm
- General Furnace Height: 7,000mm
And also, with a Maximum Temperature of 1,200 degrees Centigrade.
Their Nondestructive Testing & Surface Preparation
Bearing in mind, these are some of the key ingredients towards offering a longlasting customer flow and leads efficiency.
But, what do they entail? Let’s consider the following questions and even answer them.
What Is Nondestructive Testing?
Non-destructive testing (NDT) is a testing and analysis technique used by various industries to evaluate the elemental properties.
Especially, of a material, component, structure, system characteristic differences or even for welding defects. Learn more!
NDT for Welding Seams:
- Radiographic Testing with an Iridium 192 source
- Ultra-Sonic Testing
- Magnetic Particle Testing
- Die Penetrant Testing
NDT For Surface Preparation Coatings:
- Dry Film Thickness Measurement
- Adhesive Peel-off Test
Why Is Surface Preparation Important?
One of the most critical steps in the penetrant inspection process is preparing the part for inspection.
All coatings, such as paints, varnishes, plating, and heavy oxides must be removed to ensure that defects are open to the surface of the part.
If the parts have been machined, sanded, or blasted prior to the penetrant inspection, it is possible that a thin layer of metal may have smeared across the surface and closed off defects.
It is even possible for metal smearing to occur as a result of cleaning operations such as grit or vapor blasting.
Therefore, this layer of metal smearing must be removed before the inspection.
Types Of Surface Preparations They Offer
As an example, prior to delivery, the Heavy Engineering Ltd Team carries out the following Surface Preparation Techniques.
Particularly, in the main parts, they do manufacture and produce. Through:
- Blasting: They perform Blasting using Sand or Steel Grit.
- Painting: Painting is performed according to international standards or even in accordance with their customer’s paint specifications. And where applicable, they use their airless spray-painting equipment.
Having said that, there is a lot of work to do and engage with as long as the company profile states so.
Is Heavy Engineering Ltd Hiring?
You must log in to post a comment.