Getting into a Road Accident can lead to several unwanted consequences, including permanent injuries, loss of earnings, etc. Why not do everything you can to avoid a car accident in the first place then? While some of these car accident causes may seem obvious and redundant to experienced drivers, this list aims to educate all levels of drivers, from the teenage driver who just got his license, to the senior driver with 40 years experience behind the wheel.[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnqOmbR2qNs[/embedyt]
Notably, Accidents involving heavy goods vehicles (especially coaches and lorries with trailers) occur all too frequently. Despite calls for responsible behavior, for respect of the loading regulations and the highway code. As well as the obligation for drivers to adapt their speed, which affects stopping distances, to the traffic and weather conditions (rain, ice, fog, etc.).
The prevention of road accidents is also extremely important and will be ensured by strict laws. For example, by technical and police controls, ongoing training for drivers (especially those involved in the transport of dangerous substances) and, if need be, by legal and administrative penalties for those responsible.
How different factors of Roads contribute to a Road AccidentLearning to drive a car takes many instructional hours behind the wheel, especially if that driver wants to avoid causing automobile accidents. However, road accidents are undoubtedly the most frequent and, overall, the cause of the most damage. The reasons for this are the extremely dense road traffic and the relatively great freedom of movement given to drivers.
- Drivers: Over-speeding, rash driving, violation of rules, failure to understand signs, fatigue, alcohol.
- Pedestrian: Carelessness, illiteracy, crossing at wrong places moving on the carriageway, Jaywalkers.
- Passengers: Projecting their body outside the vehicle, by talking to drivers, alighting and boarding vehicle from the wrong side travelling on footboards, catching a running bus etc.
- Vehicles: Failure of brakes or steering, a tyre burst, insufficient headlights, overloading, projecting loads.
- Road Conditions: Potholes, damaged road, eroded road merging of rural roads with highways, diversions, illegal speed breakers.
- Weather conditions: Fog, snow, heavy rainfall, wind storms, hail storms.
Road Accident reports in Kenya
Many cases seemingly have been reported here in Kenya. With many claims that it is due to the approaching season – Christmas. Well as this may be, apart from the superstitions of witchcraft and dark practices, there are major aspects that lead to road accidents that many people tend to forget so fast and easily including the authority and relevant contacts.
Some of those involved are professionals and some have been on the wheel for quite some time. While some are relatively minor, thousands of lives are taken every year by these horrible car crashes. Because your life can be at risk if you drive in an unsafe manner, it is so important to drive carefully and follow all traffic laws.[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64gVQ_98954[/embedyt]
Things to consider when a Road Accident occursIt is the duty of witnesses to alert the available and resourceful rescue services operatives. And also to give them the exact location and nature of the road accident. In addition to the type of vehicle involved, the characteristics (code number) of any dangerous substances and the likely number of victims. Witnesses should also give their names and addresses. More things to realize and consider during and after the road accident includes;
- Keeping calm and avoiding panic; to the extent possible, help family and neighbors who are in difficulty.
- Following the captain’s (or driver’s) orders and those of the crew.
- Keep identity papers and important personal documents (medical and vaccination certificates and details of blood type) and any personal medicines with you.
- As soon as the crash or shipwreck occurs, try to free yourself from the cabin and to escape quickly from the wreckage, especially if there is a danger of fire or dangerous leaks. Seek refuge at a sufficient distance.
- If possible, activate the rescue process by alerting the local security or specialist services (special telephone networks and numbers).
- In case of a major accident occurring in a road with traffic, direct the traffic whilst taking care of your own safety (signal and mark the accident spot).
- Do not touch or move the seriously wounded unless there is a risk of fire or toxic fumes.
Road Accident Major Causes to easily Remember & Avoid them
However, just because you are careful does not mean that you can assure that all other drivers on the road will do the same thing. If you are in a car crash, it may not be your fault, and you should not be held responsible for the damages caused by the ignorance or mistakes of other drivers. In such cases, you should consider protecting yourself by filing a car accident claim. There are so many damages, pains, and frustrations that may arise as a result of a car accident, and it’s best to guard your life above all. Let us look at some of the lessons we learned about the major causes of road accidents.
1. Construction sites
Sometimes the way a construction zone is set up can be confusing. Follow the cones as well as possible and be aware of other drivers who may be confused. It is especially important to drive slowly in these areas to avoid even the smallest accidents from concurring. Sometimes those who place them may not even have an idea of their meaning or may misinterpret the assignment.
Potholes are very frustrating for drivers because sometimes they can’t be avoided. Try to drive around potholes to avoid damaging your car, when you can, but do not swerve into another lane if cars are coming. Despite the fact that there are some laws that could work in your favor, don’t take chances, especially with the heartbreaking car accident statistics from previous cases.
3. Teenage drivers
Teens don’t have the experience to know what to do in unsafe conditions and that naivety causes accidents. If you have teenagers, make sure that they have had a defensive driving course, do not permit cell phone use while driving, and limit the passengers they can take with them in the car.
4. Distracted driving
Distracted driving becomes a larger threat every year and has been the leading cause of car accidents for the past decades. Please pay attention to the road while you are driving. That means no calls, no texting, no eating, no reading, no grooming or application of makeup, and talking while behind the wheel. Also, you can stop a car and admire that beautiful lady on the roadside saving your own life and others.
5. Drunk driving
Drunk driving is one of the most dangerous causes of accidents in Kenya and is the most deadly. If you have had anything to drink, take a taxi or give your keys to a sober friend. It is not worth the risk. Dying on the road is as easy as falling asleep.
6. Reckless driving
Changing lanes too quickly, speeding well over the limit, and acting aggressive on the roads can lead to horrible accidents. It is important to take your time and remain calm while driving to avoid needless accidents caused by simple carelessness.
7. Design defects
No product is ever made perfectly, and cars are no different. Automobiles have hundreds of parts, and any of those defective parts can cause a serious car accident. Many automakers have had problems with design defects in the past, including Ford Explorer rollover accidents and Toyota’s unintended acceleration crashes.
There is never an excuse to get too close to the car in front of you, no matter how frustratingly slow they seem to be going. Keep a safe distance from other cars so that you will have time to react to sudden turns or uses of brakes.
9. Tire Blowouts
If you get a flat while driving, it can cause you to swerve unexpectedly. Try to stay calm and keep control of the wheel while pulling over as soon as it is safe. Call for help if you cannot change the tire yourself safely.
10. Animal Crossings
Anyone who has ever heard someone tell about hitting a deer knows that this is a big danger. For this reason, take extra caution when you see an animal crossing sign and always use your high beams when traveling in rural, woody areas where wild animals are common.[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68cE9U_cV74[/embedyt]
ConclusionRoad accident is the most unwanted thing to happen to a road user, though they happen quite often. The most unfortunate thing is that we don’t learn from our mistakes on the road. Most of the road users are quite well aware of the general rules and safety measures while using roads but it is only the laxity on part of road users, which cause accidents and crashes. Notably, the main causes of road accident and crashes are due to human errors.
Resourceful References;For more related contributions, additional information and questions, please Submit to the jmexclusives team. Especially for a free feature and profiling through the jmexclusives Blog Page.
- JH Transport – Causes of Road Accidents.
- ICDO (International Civil Defence Organization): Road Accident: Causes and Prevention Measures.
About jmexclusives Bloggers:
- The Joseph Mucira Exclusives aka (jmexclusives) are pro-influencers, content affiliates, trendsetters, certifiers, publishers, brand & product designers, site developers, SEO specialists, lead campaign marketers, I.C.T. consultants, businesses-brands-products-managers & Value Added Service (V.A.S) providers. » More about jmexclusives Team »