Body contouring, body shaping or body sculpting is the reshaping of body contours through the removal of fatty deposits under the skin. By the same fashion, the most commonly known treatment is liposuction. Above all, a surgical procedure with inherent risks that many patients wish to avoid.
In reality, now, less invasive energy-based alternatives are available. Including energy-assisted liposuction. In particular, which is usually gentler in comparison to regular liposuction.
Recently, completely non-invasive treatments are showing up in the market but the results are less predictable and less impressive.
Body Contouring For Beginners
Important to realize, dramatic weight loss has many benefits. Especially, after any substantial amount of weight loss due to weight loss surgery and/or lifestyle changes. Whereby, the skin and tissues often lack the elasticity to conform to the reduced body size.
However, surgical body contouring following major weight loss removes excess sagging skin and fat. While improving the shape of the underlying support tissue.
As a matter of fact, the result is a better-proportioned appearance with smoother contours.
Body contouring procedures may include;
- Arm lift: correct sagging of the upper arms
- Breast lift: correct sagging, flattened breasts
- Facelift: correct sagging of the mid-face, jowls, and neck
- Lower body lifts: correct sagging of the abdomen, buttocks, inner and outer thighs
- Medial thigh lift: correct sagging of the inner thigh
- Tummy tuck: correct apron of excess skin hanging over the abdomen
Who is a good candidate for body contouring?
In general, good body contouring candidates are:
- Adults whose weight loss has stabilized
- Healthy individuals without medical conditions that impair healing or increase the risk of surgery
- Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals
- Individuals that are committed to leading a healthy lifestyle with proper nutrition and fitness
Non Surgical Body Contouring
On one hand, Nonsurgical body contouring is also known as nonsurgical fat reduction. There are a variety of nonsurgical fat reduction procedures.
These procedures reduce or remove stubborn pockets of fat to contour and shape different areas of the body. Most nonsurgical fat reduction treatments are based on one of these four principles:
- Cryolipolysis, or controlled cooling, uses freezing temperatures to target and destroy fat cells.
- Laser lipolysis uses controlled heating and laser energy to target fat cells.
- Radiofrequency lipolysis uses controlled heating and ultrasound technology to target fat cells.
- Injection lipolysis uses injectable deoxycholic acid to target fat cells.
On the other hand, Nonsurgical body contouring procedures aren’t intended to be weight loss solutions. Ideal candidates are close to their desired weight and want to eliminate stubborn pockets of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.
With most body contouring procedures, your body mass index shouldn’t be over 30.
CoolSculpting is a treatment approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). It’s a noninvasive fat reduction technique that stems from the science of cryolipolysis.
It uses cold temperatures to target and destroys fat cells in various areas of the body. Surrounding tissues are left unharmed. The freezing temperatures kill off fat cells, which are eventually flushed out of your body through the lymphatic system. Once these cells are gone, they shouldn’t reappear. Target areas:
- bra and back fat
- underneath the buttocks (banana roll)
- double chin
- One treatment area takes 30-60 minutes, with little to no downtime in most cases.
- Multiple treatments are usually required to deliver satisfactory results.
Remarkably, SculpSure was first cleared by the FDA in 2015. Not to mention, it’s a noninvasive method of lipolysis that uses laser energy to heat and destroys fat cells. The treatment’s high temperatures can cause the fat cells to die.
The body’s lymphatic system gets rid of the dead fat cells within a period of approximately 12 weeks after the procedure. Target areas:
- Each treatment takes approximately 25 minutes. Typically, there is little to no downtime.
- Multiple treatments are usually required.
UltraShape and BTL Vanquish ME are nonsurgical, FDA-cleared procedures that use ultrasound technology to contour the body. In general, ultrasound technology is very gentle to the skin when treating stubborn pockets of fat. It involves very little to no discomfort. Target areas:
- Each treatment takes one hour on average, and you should be able to go back to your daily activities immediately.
- Requires multiple treatments.
Kybella was approved by the FDA in 2015 as a nonsurgical injection to treat fullness in the submental area (under the chin), also known as a double chin.
Deoxycholic acid has the potential to kill fat cells. The body gradually metabolizes the dead cells during the weeks after treatment. Target areas:
- chin area (specifically under the chin)
- Typically, treatment takes about 30 minutes. Apart from some swelling and bruising, recovery time is minimal in most cases. You should be able to resume daily activities almost immediately.
- There are Multiple treatments requirements.
Energy-assisted body sculpting involves the application of energy (usually from a laser) to melt fat for manual removal or absorption by the body through a minimally invasive opening (no scarring results).
The heat generated on or beneath the skin may also cause some skin contraction and tightening as well, which is desirable.
What is an Accusculpt Procedure?
Notably, Accusculpt Procedure is ideal for areas such as the hips, thighs, knees, bra line, arms, and chest.
Your physician uses the AccuSculpt contouring system to remove excess fat deposits that have settled in the target regions. Which also results in overall skin tightening of the treated areas. Patented technology makes the procedure safer, more effective and less invasive than competing technologies.
Recommended Body Contouring Procedures
- Safely removes excess fat deposits from the target region
- A quick, minimally invasive procedure requiring only local anesthesia
- Only a single treatment needed to get visible, lasting results
- Your physician will work with you to customize a treatment plan specific to your physical properties and treatment objectives.
What To Expect
Generally, the AccuSculpt procedure starts with a physician consultation to outline the areas of concern and discuss expected results.
After a small amount of local anesthesia numbs the treatment areas, your physician will make very small incisions at the edge of each treatment area.
He or she will then treat the areas with the AccuSculpt laser contouring system to liquefy controlled amounts of fat.
Body Contouring vs Sculpting
In the first place, CoolSculpting and SculpSure are the leading non-invasive body contouring treatments. Not forgetting, that reduces stubborn fat without surgery or downtime.
Surprisingly, millions of men and women have turned to these fat reduction treatments. As a non-surgical alternative to liposuction to address belly fat, love handles, thigh fat, back fat, double chins, and other bulges that resist diet and exercise.
Furthermore, both CoolSculpting and SculpSure are safe and effective. However, the different energy modalities and technologies present unique advantages and disadvantages of each treatment.
- The jmexclusives Store: Fashion & Beauty Products
- New Beauty Wellness: CoolSculpting vs. SculpSure: Comparing the Top Body Contouring Treatments
- Park Avenue Medical Spa: Freezing Fat: What Happens During The Cool Sculpting Procedure?
- Take Shape: How many body contouring procedures can I undergo at once